BACK TO SCHOOL HEALTH TIPS
Back to school time is almost here!
Following these simple steps can ensure your child has a happy and healthy school year.
- Schedule your child’s annual physical exam. This is also a great time to schedule a vision exam.
- Make sure your child is up to date on their immunizations. If you are unsure, call your child’s PCP and ask. The immunization schedule can also be found of the Rhode Island Department of Health website.
- Organize your child’s health records. It is a great idea to keep health records and emergency information organized in an easy to find place.
- Make sleep a priority. Encourage your child to go to bed at the same time every evening. Children ages 5-12 should get between 9-11 hours of sleep each night and children ages 12-18 should get between 8-10 hours of sleep each night. This will ensure your child has energy to stay alert during school.
- Begin planning healthy breakfast and lunch for school days. Proper nutrition can help ensure your child is focused throughout the day. Whole grains, fruits and vegetables are great choices!