May is Mental Health Awareness Month
Why Care? We care because:
- 1 in 5 adults lives with a mental health condition, such as depression, schizophrenia and anxiety disorders.
- Health of all lifetime mental health conditions begin by age 14, and 75% begin by age 24.
- Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States,
- 90% of all those who die by suicide have an underlying mental health condition.
What can you do?
- Know the signs of mental illness, such as:
- Excessive worrying or fear
- Feeling excessively sad
- Extreme mood changes
- Avoiding friends and social activities
- Changes in sleeping habits, feeling tired all the time
- Abuse of substances, like drugs or alcohol
- Check in on your friends and family members.
- Seek care if you believe you have a mental health condition. For emergency care, call 911.